Monday, March 2, 2015

That Nasty Three Letter Word......Multi-Level-Marketing

One of the things I have struggled with the most in being a part of doTerra was the fact that it is an MLM (Multi Level Marketing) Company.  I have been a part of these things before.  You will make lots of money, they said.  It will give you more time with your family, they said.  You will live in a MLM bubble, they said.....they said a lot of things that never came true.  I did not have lots of money.  I had less time with my family.  And that MLM bubble....well, it popped.  So, why in the world would I want to become a part of another one?

And not to mention, being on the other side of the sales person.  The side of all the party invites and the "will you come and help me earn money so I can buy my favorite product" side. 

Yeah, it all had left a bad taste in my mouth.  In fact, for several years or longer, I have actually all but sworn off all parties.  No thanks.  If I want what you have, I will contact you.  But you don't need to contact me.  I'm good.

You can imagine where this left me when once again I was confronted with another MLM in the form of oils.  No thanks.

As I found myself getting more involved, I began to struggle.  I struggled with feeling like a hypocrite, I actually still struggle with this a bit.  All the friends that I said no thanks to about their parties, I now find myself inviting to classes and doTerra events.  Yeah, I have struggled hard with that one. 

I struggled in general with being a part of something I felt like a really didn't agree with....that just doesn't even make sense.  I mean, I had to have a membership which at the time translated to:  this is just another way for them to leech more money out of me.  I had to order so much money in order to receive bonus points.....another way to take more of my money.  And, if I wanted to do really well, I needed to sign people up underneath me....insert a heavy sigh.  I've been there.  Done that.  It doesn't work, at least not for me.  And yet, like I have mentioned before, I found myself drawn back over and over again.  Cause the products were working.  I was finding healing.  You can understand my struggle.

As I struggled, my perspective began to change.  One day, as I was shopping at my local, large, grocery store, scrolling through my mperks :) and fighting with myself about being a part of an MLM....I noticed myself doing a weird thing.  I came across an mperk that said:  "purchase $400 this month and earn $12 off of your next visit"  I clipped it.  Who wouldn't?  Sure, sounds good....to....me.....

uh, yeah.  I stopped for a second.  I smirked.  My favorite, large, retail grocery store was doing the same thing that doTerra was doing.  And yet, I had never questioned it.  It had never crossed my mind that Meijer was trying to leech money out of my wallet.  They were, after all, offering me a discount and that was nice of them.  Hmmmm.....it made me think for a bit.  If I, without question accept offers like this from a retail store, then why would it bother me to accept it from an online MLM?

Something to ponder.

Soon after that, I was browsing through Christian Book Distributors catalog.  I was looking for a Bible.  They offer good discounts, so I often purchase through them, because my .....ahem....membership allows me to do so.  Again.  I smirked.  Never once did I question CBD's integrity when they asked me to purchase a membership in order to enjoy their discounts.  Why would I question the integrity of doTerra when they ask the same thing?  For me to be a paid member in order to enjoy their discounts?

Another thing to ponder.

I often find myself sharing my life with others.  We all do.  We talk to our friends, swap stories, encourage each other.  If we find out someone has a need we suggest a product or a solution to them; not because we expect anything in return, but because we desire to help them with their problem.  Funny that I have a hard time wrapping my brain around doing that when it comes to the subject of oils that might benefit a friends health...simply because it is a part of a MLM.  I struggled with the fact that I would make money off of my suggestion.  Somehow it spoils the suggestion.  How could I worked through this one?

Well, this one was hard.  But it was worked through from this perspective.  I will share my life with others...whether or not I receive anything in return, because that is who I am.  In other words, my perspective had to change from "how will this benefit me" to "how might this might benefit others".  Basically, as I share who I am, whether spiritually or with my time or with how I have learned to cope with health issues, or with my struggles, I do so with the heart of blessing others and not with the heart of making money or receiving anything in return.  When it comes to doTerra, I don't care if I make money.  I do however, care about whether or not someone is finding healing.  Might I make money?  I might.  But that is not my focus.  That is something I have learned in all of this.  It's not about the money.

Somehow, all of my biggest MLM concerns were addressed and dealt with.  There is nothing wrong with a membership.  We pay them all the time without question.  Costco, Christian Book Distributors, SAMS Club.  The membership offers perks and discounts.  Sign me up. 

Most companies offer rebate programs.  You spend this much money with us and as a thank you, we will gift you back $12.  There is nothing wrong with rebate programs.  We participate in those, too, a lot, without question.  And a lot of companies offer referral programs as well and we never question that either.  When we bring them customers, they offer us a gift.

I realized I was struggling with things I did on a daily basis and I was struggling with them because they were attached to a company that had that nasty three letter word tagged onto it.

Silly.

That nasty three letter word doesn't seem so nasty to me anymore.  When I began to realize that I have been participating in memberships, rebate programs, and referral programs anyway with other companies on a regular basis.  Why, then,  was I allowing a business label to trip me up with this company? 

Just another part of my journey with all of this I guess :)    

No comments:

Post a Comment